Behind the partners are accountants, bookkeepers and administration staff who assist in servicing the client base. Collectively they also bring experience, knowledge and knowhow to Van Dyk Newbold & Co.

  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co
  • Van Dyk Newbold & Co

Frequently Asked Questions

When is my tax return due for lodgment?

If you lodge your tax return yourself, it must be lodged by October 31.  However, if you use the services of a tax agent, your tax return is not required to be lodged until May 15 of the following year.  Please note that to receive this lodgment extension you must be recorded as a client of a tax agent before October 31.

What information do you need to prepare my tax return?

For a business, please supply your current cashbook or a back up of your data file.  In addition to this, we also need

How do I change accountants?

When changing accountants, there is no need for you to notify your old accountant of your plans to move on.  As your new accountant, we write to your existing accountant advising of your plans to move to our firm and ask them for any additional information we may require to understand your affairs.  You may wish to call your old accountant out of courtesy but it is not necessary for you to do this.  When seeing us for the first time, we suggest you bring in copies of the previous year's tax returns and financial statements to review.

How much do you charge?

When preparing relatively straight forward individual tax returns, we try to charge set fees.  However, these fees are only indicative fees and may be higher or lower depending on the particular circumstances of each individual.

When preparing business financial statements and tax returns or providing advice on tax related matters, our fees are based on the hourly rates of the staff involved in undertaking the work.

I am interested in buying a business. What do you need to help me make a decision?

If the business for sale is being sold for less than $300,000, the vendor is obligated to provide a potential purchaser with a From 2.  Where a business is being sold for more than $300,000, the vendor should supply a copy of the full financial statements for the business.  Once you have these from the vendor, make a time to see us for some advice.

What business structure should I use?

A business can be operated either as a sole trader, a partnership, a company or a trust.  There are numerous advantages and disadvantages to each structure as well as a variety of reasons for choosing one structure over the other.  Ultimately, the right structure for each person and each business can be quite different and we suggest you contact us to discuss such decisions as soon as possible.

How do I start my own business?

Generally speaking, to start your own business is as simple as completing an ABN application.  This can be done online through the ABR web page and, in most cases, you will receive your ABN immediately upon completion of the application.  To complete this application, you will need to know your tax file number.

I have started my own business and wonder if I need to register for GST.
Businesses with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more are required to register for GST.  If your business has a lower turnover you are not required to register but you may if you wish to. You will only be required to charge your customers GST if you are registered.

How long do I need to keep my receipts?

Documentary evidence should be keep for five years from the date of lodgment of the tax return in which the claims are made.